Tuesday, January 15, 2008

J'Onn J'Onzz (and maybe Aquaman) is DEAD!?!?



"DEAD ON ARCHIVAL" item from Rich Johnston's latest "Lying In The Gutters" column at Comic Book Resources...

"So. If Warner won’t let DC Comics kill off Batman in “Final Crisis," who can DC get away with introducing to the Grim Reaper? I mean it has to be decent names, but it also has to be someone that a major franchise license isn’t totally resting on.

From Geoff Johns’ CBR interview: “There are still tons of characters to write. Aquaman is a big one. I have very specific ideas for him. Very specific."

From the letters page of this month's Johnny DC "Justice League Unlimited," in response to a young reader who doesn't like the changes made to Aquaman: "Fans of Aquaman's original look can look forward to a new comic book later in 2008."

May be the original look, but will it be the original character?

I only ask, because the two names marked for karking I’ve been given by a DC source are Martian Manhunter and Aquaman."

I suppose I'd rather run the "J'Onn J'Onzz Memorial Blog" than the "Remember the days when Martian Manhunter was a good guy?" shrine. Hope K'Yle R'Ayner has fun during his run before some geek inevitably brings the O.G. back. That's right y'all! Roh Kar in da hay-ouse!

Meanwhile, banner wonder Mike Netzer also makes an appearance at Lying in the Gutters this week, so check it out!

2 comments:

Luke said...

Bleah!

Although honestly I can't see Grant Morrison offing the Martian Manhunter. Aquaman, maybe. But I don't think he would do that to the "weird" founder of the Justice League, seeing as he seems to like the weird characters. Still, would suck if Aquaman was killed. Esepcially since he's already dead. Unless AJ is killed off, and somehow that brings Arthur back. And then seeing his friend return, J'Onn gets his old boots and straps back and the go off, having adventures! Oh right. Excuse me a minute, I need to take my medicine.

Diabolu Frank said...

Hey yeah, the real Aquaman is already dead! Kill away, Artie Joe haters!

I have no doubt that Grant Morrison would kill Martian Manhunter if asked. I expect it would be a very good death, and he's one of the few writers I'd want to author such a thing. Again, I'm looking at the options Dan Didio has, and my favorite is the death of J'Onn J'Onzz until the end of his regime.

The more I think about this though, the less likely it seems. The very criteria Johnston cites as a salvation for the already dead Aquaman would be at least as valid for Martian Manhunter. I see J'Onn J'Onzz licensing all over the place, thanks to Justice League. The charcter still shows up on "Smallville" and there's a strong probability he'll not only be in the JL movie, but may well be the only one portrayed by a veteran actor. Most importantly, the public has been sold "J'Onn J'Onzz" as much as "Martian Manhunter" over the last half decade, so I think the WB might shut down that path well ahead of schedule.

To be honest, I'm much more worried about someone like Ray Palmer, who's death could be far more permanent if applied...