Wednesday, October 28, 2009

2009 The Martian Manhunter Archives Volume 2 Table of Contents by Tom Hartley

Click To Load Document


As I've done in the past, Tom scanned his copy of Showcase Presents Martian Manhunter Vol. 1, then digitally recolored it. I'm also experienced in doctoring up images to look like pages that saw print somewhere (and love the internet's giving me the opportunity to still con people a year and a half after the fact.) Where my work and Tom's differ is that his looks way, way, WAY better than anything I'll ever come up with. The coloring is attractive and credible. Artifacts aren't sloppily left unattended all over the page. The fonts are exactly the same as those used by DC Comics in these editions. Everything is centered/formatted correctly. Basically, DC could just go ahead and pay Tom a fee for his having done all the work for them on this Table of Contents, if there was a chance such a beast could ever be published. My head still spins over the Showcases, at least until I spy the Eclipso and Ambush Bug editions on my bookshelf. Talk about long shots.

Anyway, you can see the TOC in its full glory as a PDF here, including one of the many swirly transformation shots of the Silver Age. Those odd panels were J'Onn's own Wonder Woman Twirl back in the day, and you just can't appreciate what unusual eyesores they were in black and white.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm blushing!

Here's a larger version of the swirly pic:

http://home.nethere.net/tomhartley/v2toc.jpg