Sunday, May 15, 2011

Creators for RETROACTIVE: MARTIAN MANHUNTER – THE ‘90S #1



From DC's The Source Blog:

Monday, May 2nd, 2011

By David Hyde

We’ve already announced the full creative teams for the ’70s and ‘80s books in this summer’s blockbuster RETROACTIVE series. Throughout the day today, we’ll be announcing the artists who will be joining the previously announced writers for the ‘90s books and we’ll also be teasing at what these titles will be about. As we mentioned before, each of these new 26-page stories will be followed by a classic story from its era by the same writer.



John Ostrander shared exclusively with THE SOURCE, "I've been very lucky in my career that I usually don't have series canceled out from under me. Tom and I did GRIMJACK for two years together before I ended that series with Flint Henry, and then Tom and I saved FIRESTORM until we decided to leave with the hundredth issue, and then we got to do THE SPECTRE for the five year story we had worked out. MARTIAN MANHUNTER was a book where we had more editorial considerations because of the ties to JLA and we were sidetracked repeatedly so that we never got around to everything we wanted to do before Tom left and I had to end the book. An example would be that I got a lot of flack for my characterization of Beatriz da Costa on the message boards where no one gave me the benefit of the doubt. Fire was intentionally misleading DEO Agent Cameron Chase as part of a plan devised by J'Onn J'Onzz that was meant to build until the fiftieth issue. I also revealed a brand new archenemy that was meant to take the place of Malefic called The Pyre in the early issues, but I never was able to properly introduce him into the book. Tom had already committed to another book, but his wife and my longtime artistic partner on STAR WARS: LEGACY Jan Duursema plan to treat this special as an opportunity to take care of that last bit of unfinished business between J'Onn, Bea, and the Pyre."

DC RETROACTIVE: MARTIAN MANHUNTER – THE ‘90s #1
Joining writer John Ostrander is artist Jan Duursema to tell a defining story that shows why J'Onn J'Onzz is the Manhunter from Mars.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 17 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

5 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

I'd certainly feel better if Fire were only "acting." I also would like to take this opportunity to point out that the run-on sentences in the Ostrander quote were way intentional. He doesn't seem to do that in real life, but it drove me nuts while reading the book.

LissBirds said...

"I also would like to take this opportunity to point out that the run-on sentences in the Ostrander quote were way intentional." Ha!

I'm so starved for Martian material that I'd take an Ostrander one-shot. Man, there is like nothing out there now that Brightest Day is done.

Diabolu Frank said...

The most recent Batman: The Brave and the Bold appearance was quite good.

LissBirds said...

Awww, I didn't see that! I'm way behind with watching that show. Also, my DVR copped out last Friday, so I don't know if it got recorded. But thanks for the heads up.

Did you ever see the "JLI" episode of that show from the fall? I finally saw it, and it was pretty adorable.

Or is that the appearance you're talking about?

*lightbulb*

Diabolu Frank said...

Nope. I haven't seen a full episode of the cartoon yet. I was referring to J'Onn's guest appearance in the comic book (#6.) Diane Meade shows up, too.