Sunday, January 15, 2012

2011 "It Even Rains in Space" Martian Manhunter color art by Michael Walsh and Adam Metcalfe

Click To Enlarge


"I love the man Martian J'onn J'onzz. He has such a cool simple design, I especially liked him in Grant Mo's Earth 2 when he completely dominated the alternate Superman. He always seemed like such a forlorn, lonely martian so I tried to capture a bit of that.

Also, shout out to Neils' gal who absolutely loves this character, and with good reason."

Be sure to check out the stark, "rainless" black and white original art at Speedballin' Comics, who devoted a whole week in December to J'Onn J'Onzz art for me to steal and repost. Huzzah!

3 comments:

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

i dunno about the raining in space thing but this is an otherwise nicely stylized illustration that captures the personality of the Martian Manhunter well.

will_in_chicago said...

You can have meteor showers. This picture shows J'Onn as a solitary figure.

LissBirds said...

I like the somberness of this piece. I always thought there was a bit of sadness in J'onn's core, even from the Silver Age days, so it's nice to see an artist pick up on that.