Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Podcast: Martian Manhunter #5 & All-Star Section Eight #3 (2015)

Episode #19



Look for us on iTunes, ShoutEngine or directly download an art-tagged MP3 from the Internet Archive



Frank summarizes and critiques two comedic comics: the fifth issue of the New 52/DC You Martian Manhunter series by Rob Williams and Eddy Barrows, plus the Alien Atlas' cover-spotlighted appearance in All-Star Section Eight by Garth Ennis & John McCrea!





We enjoy dialogue on the red planet, so here are our non-telepathic contact options:

1 comment:

Anj said...

I feel your frustration with this title and it pains me. I think the book is interesting and feels fresh to me. Splintered main character. Weird enemies. And this plot with a new Mars and bizarre time leaps. At the very least I am engaged as a reader.

That said, after hearing your review, I realized that while this is interesting to me, it might not be good for someone invested in J'onn.

As an exercise, I decided to see if I could easily insert other characters into the cast/plot here.

I could write this same book with Shade the Changing Man fractured and Meta as the planet careening to earth, run by a villainous Sude.

I could write this book with Amethyst splintered and Gemworld crashing to Earth run by Dark Opal.

I could write this book as a warped Hawk and Dove, their personalities fractured, a Chaos world coming to Earth driven by Kestrel.

I could write this book with Zatanna, the Warlock sending Ys to Earth.

In other words, the premise might be decent for me. But that doesn't make it a decent J'onn premise.

As someone who suffered through many blighted interpretations of Supergirl, I feel your pain.