Wednesday, July 15, 2009

1986 DC Comics "Legends" Promotional Ad

Click To Enlarge

After WAY too long a wait, I've finally finished synopsizing the Justice League series that spun out of the Legends mini-series up to the point where it became International. It is also to the point where it connects to the Justice League International #8 synopsis I covered over a year ago during the Martian Manhunter Memorial Month. The Manhunter from Mars was "killed" on Wednesday, May 28, 2008. Our memorial began with Goodbye J'Onn... the next day, followed by The J'Onn J'Onzz Memorial Service and some of my favorite Alien Atlas stories ever. That limped to a close "Tuesday, July 8, 2008," though that was a back dating after the blog was plagued by delays. Sound familiar?

So anyway, my time has been at a premium lately, and all of my blogs have suffered for it. To my surprise, a poll I'm currently running indicates the hours-sucking story summaries are a lot less popular than several less demanding options. To some degree, this post will mark the end of synopsises for the forseeable future. I still need to get the promised Summer of Saturn back running, and the overwhelming DC Challenge must end at some point, by God. Beyond that, we'll be taking a breather, so I can stop filling space with the surprisingly unpopular pin-ups like this one here.

Speaking of, the black and white ad by John Byrne and (I assume) Karl Kesel ran here and there back in 1986, but Byrne's arrival at DC and its being the follow-up to Crisis On Infinite Earths had the book pre-sold as a hit. In retrospect, it was pretty hokey in execution, with little long term consequence, and fares poorly when read today. Still looks pretty, though.

2 comments:

LissBirds said...

Thanks for posting a link to your post of favorite MM stories. I hadn't discovered your blog at the time so I missed out on that. Now I'm going to go pick up my copies of Showcase Presents and go look for those stories.

Diabolu Frank said...

Glad you liked the link, Liss. It's light on Showcase material, unfortunately. I like my Manhunter Modern Age, y'see...