Saturday, July 9, 2011

2009 Sketches...J'onn J'onnz by Lissbirds

Click To Enlarge


It feels like folks declared Independence Day from following and commenting on my blogs around and since the holiday. With three tests this week, two of them real doozies, I decided to just say "screw it" and phone in Thursday and Friday. Of late, my low maintenance/low yield posting source of choice has been deviantART, mainly because it's a very difficult site to navigate toward interesting stuff, and if I do find something worth sharing, I can just embed it here as a cut & paste. Even though it's a headache, I like to play with search terms like "Bel Juz" or "Mongul" or when I'm really feeling masochistic, "Malefic."

I know how much regular reader/commentator Lissbirds likes plain ol' Detective John Jones, so I plugged his name in, and who should be responsible for a series of offerings but Lissbirds herself! I'm surprised she hasn't run any of these on her own blog, Comics Make Me Happy!, especially when she asks And how fares J'onn J'onzz in the DCnÜ. Besides the J'Onn J'Onzz sketches above, she also channeled Ed Barreto for John Jones: Martian Manhunter and John Jones Martian Manhunter 2. I got tricked into thinking her take on actor Dana Andrews was a third Jones, and now I'll have "Science Fiction/Double Feature" stuck in my brain all weekend...

4 comments:

LissBirds said...

"Let's check in at the Idol-Head. Oooh, more Martian Manhunter ar-heyyyyy!" And then I did the biggest double-take of my life.

Thanks for featuring me, though, even if my offering are pretty mediocre. That sketch was from when I was trying to teach myself how to draw people, and I'm not very good at drawing hair, so I left the guy bald. Then I said, "You know what? Let's slap a folded collar on this guy and call him J'onn J'onzz."

I like to copy things, and Barreto's style is so clean and I'm really drawn to simplicity. I thought maybe a little bit of that style would seep in by osmosis but so far it hasn't happened. This whole art thing is harder than it looks.

mathematicscore said...

Very much like it Lissbirds! Keep up the good work.

profhaley said...

I do check the site each and every day, so don't think you aren't being followed or stalked (bwah haa haa haa)...very nice sketch by the way Lissbirds.

Diabolu Frank said...

One of these days, I need to make good on my threat to posts some stuff from my Rob Liefeld clone period twenty years ago. Now there was a guy who couldn't draw hair.

Liss, I like these pieces, particularly the head shot in the upper right corner. J'Onn wears bemused well.

For some reason, I thought the comments had died off on the 4th, but it was really the series of arts posts begun on Tuesday, which don't tend to get a ton of comments individually. Bit of self-fulfilling prophesy there. I think maybe I was just pooped, and frankly, still am. Good thing I've got plenty of stuff in the can for this week...