Late last month, I ran a lengthy post discussing how I came to coin the term "Vile Menagerie" with regard to the Martian Manhunter's rogues gallery, what I meant for it to be a decade back, and how that definition has changed over the years. I also asked readers to respond to a poll to help redefine the collective as they would like to see it. The results:
What is the Vile Menagerie?
- 5 votes (27%): Everybody the Martian Manhunter has ever fought as a featured combatant. (Asmodel)
- 3 votes (16%): Everybody the Martian Manhunter has ever fought, even as part of a team. (All in.)
- 3 votes (16%):Only the villains J'onn J'onzz physically fights in his solo stories, like B'rett.
- 3 votes (16%):Only his most dangerous common foes, like Despero.
- 2 votes (11%): Only villains that are most closely associated with J'onn J'onzz, like Professor Hugo.
- 2 votes (11%):Only his most dangerous solo foes, like Malefic.
- 0 votes (0%): Only the adversaries J'onn J'onzz must face in his solo stories, like Mister V.
- 44%: All prominent Martian Manhunter combatants, whether solo or in a team scenario.
- 28%: Exclusively villains from J'onn J'onzz's solo stories, such as B'rett and Professor Hugo.
- 28%: Only the most dangerous foes of the Manhunter from Mars, like Despero and Malefic.
Revised under these terms, it looks like the Vile Menagerie is basically already doing what folks want it to, with perhaps the minor tweak of adding in a tiered showcase to separate the heavy-hitters from the bench warmers. Folks interested in such a construct should tell me so in the comments, because it would be pretty easy for me to blow that off indefinitely.
Finally, to make a pass at lighting a fire under the comments, which current or potential inclusion in the Vile Menagerie would you most like to have thrown out entirely?