Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 Martian Manhunter and Zook “The Manhunter Monster!” color art by Enrique “Quique” Alcatena

Click To Enlarge
"Thank you for posting my pin-up, Frank! I´m a devoted fan of the Miller/Certa´s years, and I loved trying to recreate their particular charm in a series of illos. All the best, Quique Alcatena"
Much love to Mr. Alcatena, who is not only a fine artist, but a true fan, as made obvious by his choice of subjects. Martian Manhunter! "Faceless" Mr. V! Vulture's "Monsters"! Zook! In fact, Alcatena's appreciation of the lot extends to fan fiction, because Zook wasn't actually in “The Manhunter Monster!” story, as he was inexplicably absent for most of J'onn J'onzz's European crusade against Vulture. Considering I never was much for the way that ongoing narrative was hastily wrapped when House of Mystery dumped their adventure strips to return to the horror anthology format, I'll just pretend that this was a "lost" continuation from 1969...

3 comments:

LissBirds said...

This is so lovely! The colors are beautiful, as is the composition. I'm so happy to see Silver Age art here.

I hope to see more!

mathematicscore said...

Agreed! This is the continuity that should be, not necessarily is.

Diabolu Frank said...

Liss, besides the six other pieces Alcatena produced for himself, I'll start running commissions of my own again featuring more Silver Age foes...