Art by Juvaun Kirby
This one has a bit of history. I first featured the original line art in a post from 2009, taken from Kirby's seemingly defunct deviantART page, which is substantially altered/cropped/enhanced on the actual card. I'd first attempted a directory of these cards in 2014, long abandoned and forgotten, using links to a CCG specialty shop that no longer offers the cards (or images of same.) This effort was aided by LissBirds, a sweetheart of a regular commenter who I think I scared off with my pivot to podcasting (and our bro-y "locker room talk" among friends.)
As I've been researching the VS. System, it seems like the DC Comics Legends expansion is very tough to come by. I can't find any boxes available online, and eBay listings for individual cards are uncommon. I'm mostly having to do broader Google searches until I tumble upon old CCG sales pages that typically no longer offer the card for purchase. It's a very large expansion at 273 cards, the last DC set, and the second from last Vs. System release overall. It features some really beautiful art by Ryan Sook and others, but also some of the most hideous pieces of the game (often by John Van Fleet, doing what looks like CGI of a quality more in line with early '90s stuff like Donna Matrix. I have to work for every image, and this one? I had to blow it up to reach 400 pixels. There's also some element to this that was exclusive to tournaments/conventions, and there are a ton of repeat characters, so this may be some sort of re-release/compilation set. Whatever-- it's a toughie, and I wished I'd started on this when there were more online resources available.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment