Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Strange Brain Parts: "Maybe Absolute Martian Manhunter Isn’t Great?" Video Essay

I often watch the videos of Strange Brain Parts, and appreciate that there's a channel that does the kind of deep dives into the "above ground" comics of interest to a fellow well traveled Gen-X reader. He's a lot better at social engagement than I'll ever be, with his own Discord and five-figure subscriber base offering hundreds of comments to individual videos. I'm exhausted just thinking about maintaining that, never mind the precarious nature of being financially supported by YouTube. His videos pop-up in the algorithm of my TV, but when I tried to search out a specific one online, I was forced to sign in just to view the thing. It's an odd model from my standpoint, but I was happily surprised my first post in months got a comment and a few views within a day. Who am I to talk?

Anyway, I had a few people reach out to me here and elsewhere about my thoughts on Absolute Martian Manhunter. I haven't finished collecting a Martian Manhunter comic in floppies since the 2015 volume, and I haven't even finished reading a run since the 2006 mini-series. I haven't truly enjoyed a book with "Martian Manhunter" in the title since the one from 34 years ago by an artist who's been dead for a decade-and-a-half and a writer we don't talk about anymore since he went to prison for the worst things. My opinion of Absolute Martian Manhunter should be as predictable as the setting of the sun and rise of the moon. But I did buy the trade paperback in softcover, and I had it read back in April. I did the action figure post first, because I felt it was more timely, with a plan to review that first volume the following week. But I always had something more interesting to do, and now that I have the second and final volume waiting for me... I can't really remember much about the first. So I'll reread it and do a review of both volumes this month, when I feel a compulsion to get it done, but that's kind of a review unto itself.

I never expect something like an Absolute Martian Manhunter video essay to find me. I mostly watch political/broader creative media commentary on the TV, as most comic book vlogging feels like a waste of my time. But one of the channels I already watch covering the rare book with six-figure sales will prompt that sort of thing. The video criticizes the book from directions that I hadn't really considered, because I was hung up on considerations both broader and much more specific to my interests. Still, I support all the views expressed here, and will add my own insights later in the month.

Hopefully you can see it, if the embed doesn't also prompt a dang sign-in. I hate the 2020s.

1 comment:

Kevin from New Orleans said...

There was no sign in just to let you know, anyway this is an interesting take that I didn't think about & the first time I've seen this channel. I'll have to check out more videos so thank you . Here's one for you if you're interested in the concept of the show it's called Back Issues from the channel Comic Pop, the premise of it is a comic fan goes into a comic with 2 friends that don't read comics & have reactions & questions that most comic fans don't think of.