Monday, October 15, 2007

1970 Fleer Justice League of America Gum & Tattoo

Yesterday we spotlighted the awesome 1969 Fleer Martian Manhunter Temporary Tattoo and the wrappers it came in. I’m not sure why the wrappers are copyrighted to ’69 and this header card ’70, but I presume one accompanied the other back in the day. For one copper Lincoln, you could twist the knob on your favorite gumball machine and receive not just something sweet to rot your teeth, but a primer tattoo for your upcoming career as a n’er-do-well. Then again, maybe these images of your favorite DC Super-Heroes would inspire a military career, so who’s to say? All I know is along the way, you’d be faced with the Manhunter from Mars, off in the corner and somehow smaller than the Atom. Somebody explain to these ding-dang licensors Ray Palmer’s union suit is invisible when he’s normal sized, unless of course he’s shown actual size and looking over his shoulder at the other Leaguers way off in the distance. That’s probably it...

4 comments:

rob! said...

thats two JLA packages in a row, and no Aquaman! what did fleer have against him??

Diabolu Frank said...

I know, right? More to the point, what did they have FOR J'Onn J'Onzz, though I bless their hearts for the uncommon gesture?

Damian said...

Lack of Arthur is ridiculous, although I'll take anything with Ray on it that I can get.

And apparently I can get this... for the price of a compact car.

Diabolu Frank said...

I've no use for the gumball machine anymore (would have been lovely in my shop, but I wouldn't have been if I stayed...) but I must have one of the temporary tats someday...