Thursday, April 2, 2009

1984 Kenner Super Powers Collection Martian Manhunter Commercial



I saw a post at Shag's Firestorm Fan blog the other day spotlighting a Super Powers Action Figures TV Commercial. It featured what for all I know may be the first (very crudely) animated appearance of our Martian Manhunter, so I went surfing YouTube to see if I could find a video with a more substantial showing. Lo and behold, here's the ad for the first Martian Manhunter action figure, introduced alongside Dr. Fate and Green Arrow. I remember seeing this as a kid, so it was likely the first time I was ever exposed to the Martian Manhunter. An alternative would be the house ad for 1984's Justice League of America #230 featuring the glorious art of Chuck Patton as J'Onn J'Onzz and The Marshal of the Red Brotherhood pounded one another. Either way, 1984 was a big year for the Alien Atlas in my book, and I actually owned most of the figures in this ad, so marketing works! By the way, the only thing better than Manhunter standing front and center behind Superman (who I got in a bad trade) in the cartoon is watching Brainiac (who eluded me) kick Kryptonian butt in an ad pimping the J'Onzz!

2 comments:

Bookgal said...

That is some awesome old school!

rob! said...

Wow, don't remember that ad at all. Hard to believe Kenner would spend the money to do a commercial just for those specific heroes!