Tuesday, April 14, 2009

1996 Dusty Abell Group Pin-Up


This illustration from Martian Manhunter Special #1 features a number of iconic DC super-heroes without a Batman or Superman family member in sight, for which I am grateful. I'm fond of Abell's unique style, but I understand that his quirks may turn some people off. For instance, beyond giving us a rather awkward Aquaman butt shot, he compounds the issue by giving him light colored shorts that turned out orange. Still, the Sea King is among my favorite characters, along with Wonder Woman and the Ray Palmer Atom. I also have love for Hawkman, though the less said about the Wally West Flash and Green Lantern Hal Jordan, the better. I also dig that J'Onn J'Onzz has the beloved DC bullet behind him, which I've been missing for years now. Stupid Didio Tidy Bowl swirl...

2 comments:

Bookgal said...

Wonder Woman does look a little stones, and I agree the Aquaman pose is a little "Gap Jeans Ad" but I really like GL and Flash, and J'onn's pretty well done too.

Diabolu Frank said...

I phrased that badly-- I meant I don't care for Wally and Hal as characters. Abell drew them better than anyone else in the picture, though.