Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2006 Martian Manhunter: From Bruce Wayne's private files in the Batcomputer



Text by Jim Krueger writing as Batman:

In many ways, Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and myself. He is a detective, cunning and logical, but he is also one of the last of his race, capable of many of the same superhuman talents as the Man of Steel.

Science and science fiction have always speculated upon the notion that there was life on Mars. One scientist, Dr. Saul Erdel, attempted through experimental communication technology to contact the Red Planet. What returned through the beacon he transmitted was not just a message from Mars: it was a Martian, and not the sort fictionalized by H.G. Wells. This being was humanoid, at least to a degree, for his shape was random. He was a shape-shifter.

Erdel learned that Mars was dead, burned, lost in time. This Martian was named J'onn J'onzz. He had no desire to invade Earth, but instead took to this world, joining its people and the Justice League to make certain that the end that befell Mars would never threaten Earth.

The Martian Manhunter's fear of fire suggests hypersensitivity, but this is too simple an explanation. His weakness would be too common to this world as well as Mars. Perhaps this is because his mass changes depending upon the form he adopts. My understanding of spatial relationships in both the seen and the unseen world needs to be modified. I will have to speak with Ray Palmer on this subject.

Additional materials from the back pages of the February 2006 issue of Justice #3 included Alex Ross' design sketches for Gorilla Grodd and a Martian Manhunter painting by Ross over Doug Braithwaite's pencil art. The latter became a rare variant cover for the series and was turned into a t-shirt by Graffiti Designs.

5 comments:

Tom Hartley said...

The extras are a lot cooler than the story.

Diabolu Frank said...

I own that shirt. If I quit eating Quad Steak burritos as midnight while staying up all night studying for a test, I might be able to wear it someday. Medium is not your friend at my age.

mathematicscore said...

I feel your pain Frank.

Diabolu Frank said...

The heartburn or the hot sauce on winter cracked lips? Not exactly the highest quality steak, either. I think I'll stick with "ground beef" and chicken(?)

LissBirds said...

I always wanted that shirt. I'll binge my way up to a men's medium and then I'll take it off your hands for you.

I think there's only like 40% real meat in those tacos. The rest is a mystery. A tasty, tasty mystery.