Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Martian Sightings for September, 2011



STORMWATCH #1
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art and cover by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA
On sale SEPTEMBER 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
They are Stormwatch, a dangerous super human police force whose existence is kept secret from the world. Directly following the ominous events of SUPERMAN #1, Adam One leads half the Stormwatch team to recover the [INFORMATION REDACTED] from deep in the Himalayas. Meanwhile, Jack Hawksmoor and the rest of the Stormwatch crew look to recruit two of the deadliest super humans on the planet: Midnighter and Apollo! And if they say no? Perhaps the Martian Manhunter can change their minds...
RATED T

I'm definitely ordering this, but I do still have questions, like who is Adam One, and why do we need another dude in this book? Anyway, the more I look at this new costume, the better I like it. I hated a cabochon on the BD suit, and it just seemed a tad too boring and safe. I really love that the SW suit gets rid of the red X-straps so common at DC in favor of a ribcage frame and a time-honored chest emblem. I also dig how they made the pie-symbol less generic by emphasizing the slices in red against a gray background. I prefer the black leather pants to the BD blues, especially since the new belt is integrated into them. Not so sure about the red inner thighs, since it gives the impression of chaps while fighting alongside two of the most prominent homosexual super-heroes in conics. My other concern is the pleathery purple cape with the only-works-in-drawings cut and the wimpy collar. A few tweaks would do it good, but I think it's pretty cool overall.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
1:25 Variant cover by DAVID FINCH
RETROSOLICITED • On sale AUGUST 31 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US RATED T • Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Comics superstars Geoff Johns and Jim Lee make history! In a universe where super heroes are strange and new, Batman has discovered a dark evil that requires him to unite the World Greatest Heroes!

This spectacular debut issue is also offered as a special combo pack edition, polybagged with a redemption code for a digital download of the issue.
Ugh! Batman, the controlling a-hole that always makes a big show of creating tension/quitting the JLA, of which he's only kinda-sorta a founder, is now the guy creating the team? Screw this-- I'll go read Stormwatch instead...

GRIFTER #1
Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON
Art by CAFU
Cover by CAFU and BIT
On sale SEPTEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The DCU’s most wanted man stars in his own series!
Cole Cash is a charming grifter few can resist. And yet he’s about to be branded a serial killer when he begins hunting and exterminating inhuman creatures hidden in human form – creatures only he can see!
Can the biggest sweet talker of all time talk his way out of this one when even his brother thinks he’s gone over the edge?
Invisible flying Daemonites look an awful lot like White Martians, is all I'm saying.

SUICIDE SQUAD: THE NIGHTSHADE ODYSSEY TP
Written by JOHN OSTRANDER, KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DEMATTEIS
Art by LUKE MCDONNELL, KEITH GIFFEN and others
Cover by JERRY BINGHAM
In these stories from issues #7-12, the Squad is trapped in Russia. And before they escape, they’ll have to fight The People’s Heroes. Then, Batman discovers the existence of the Suicide Squad – and he’s not happy. Plus: a crossover from JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #13.
On sale OCTOBER 19 • 224 pg, FC, $19.99 US
Vixen & J'Onn J'Onzz reunited for the first time since the fall of the JLD. Good stuff.

Miss Martian
YOUNG JUSTICE #8
Written by GREG WEISMAN and KEVIN HOPPS
Art by CHRISTOPHER JONES and DAN DAVIS
Cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
Can someone with Artemis’ pedigree really be a hero? A close encounter when the team takes action against the deadly android Amazo may give her the chance to prove herself – if she can survive the onslaught of Professor Ivo’s malevolent MONQIs!
On sale SEPTEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

TINY TITANS #44
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Cover by ART BALTAZAR
It’s the issue of doom! Join the Tiny Titans as they – walk to school! Beast Boy takes a wrong turn when confronted by the crossing guards he calls The Doom Patrol. Plus, witness Beast Boy’s first encounter with the Crossing Patrol Boys of Doom! Crossing the street has never been so tough!
On sale SEPTEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

7 comments:

LissBirds said...

I gotta say, I really miss the folded collar. This neckline is too coneheader-evoking for me. But at least he's kind of smiling in this pic, which I find intriguing. Unless I'm just imagining that.

But I like the way the pie symbol is colored. Now that the cabochon is gone, I can't collect royalty fees every time you use that word anymore. That's the only part of the cabochon I will miss.

A JLA with six original members but not the seventh just doesn't sit well with me at all becuase it makes no sense.

Diabolu Frank said...

Eyes smiling, lips pursed. It's an odd combination. I'm cool with the collar temporarily as a sleek sci-fi take, but it's too wimpy for the long term. That J.Ho piece I ran last week that added a red seam to the folded collar would work well here. Finally, I totally credit you for the vocab, but I still hope I won't have to say cabochon again for a good long while.

Count Drunkula said...

I don't think the inside of his thighs are red; I think that's part of his belt hanging down, like a reverse jacket tail, sort of loin cloth thing there.

Count Drunkula said...

Also... the solicit reads: "directly following the ominous events of Superman #1"...

Stormwatch #1 comes out September 7th.

Superman #1 comes out September 28th!

Spoilers...?

Diabolu Frank said...

Aw crap, J'Onn has a long dong pecker protector. Suddenly, I want the chaps back. Fewer jokes that way.

Luke said...

I for one liked the Martian rock on his chest, so I am sad to see that look be so short lived. This one has some good points and some bad; I want to reserve judgement until I can get a better look at it.

Diabolu Frank said...

I believe that's wise. I've talked so much about the theory of this series, I had nothing left for solicitation commentary but premature costume assessment.