Wednesday, May 2, 2012

2012 Martian Manhunter Super Spectacular #2 Mock-Up



MARTIAN MANHUNTER SUPER SPECTACULAR #2
Art by MICHAEL NETZER, DICK DILLIN, CURT SWAN and STUART IMMONEN
Cover by MICHAEL NETZER
Get set for DC’s second magazine-sized selection of MARTIAN MANHUNTER epics, featuring the storytelling talents of legendary writers Dennis O'Neil, Bob Haney and Len Wein with classic artists Michael Netzer, Dick Dillin and more! These stories, originally seen in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #71, WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #212 & 245, and ADVENTURE COMICS #449-451 take you from the destruction of Mars to the grim wasteland of Mars II as J'onn J'onzz seeks the murderer of his planet and best friend! Featuring the debuts of archenemies Commander Blanx and Bel Juz! Also included: “Help Me Make It Through the Night,” the first professional work of Stuart Immonen, originally printed in SHOWCASE '93 #10.
Retailers please note: These issues will ship with two covers each. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale AUGUST 3 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US • RATED T


  1. Justice League of America #71
  2. World's Finest Comics #212
  3. Adventure Comics #449
  4. Adventure Comics #450
  5. Adventure Comics #451
  6. World's Finest Comics #245
  7. Showcase '93 #10

5 comments:

Tom Hartley said...

I'll take it! What was in #1? If DC did publish something like this, I wonder if they would call it a Justice League of America 100-Page Spectacular. With appearances by Superman, Batman and the Hawks (and Supergirl), the Adventure #449-451 / World's Finest #245 serial is practically a JLA story.

Nice banner. Great concept and excellent coloring. I like the photo background, even though it screws up the perspective. Maybe you could redraw the desk.

Diabolu Frank said...

Thanks Tom! To tell the truth, I slapped the Spectacular together, and lazily just used the #2 from the reference cover. This does fit the Presents style of stopgap mini-trades, covering the lion's share of notable material following the Showcase volumes and preceding, y'know, material that was written at a professional level worthy of an actual collection. I would love to see this art printed at higher paper quality than I could get out of a bathroom towel dispenser, though. If it takes the JLA branding to get it done, I'm all for that. Martians are all about stealth.

I'm glad you like the banner. I wanted to keep things old school, but I was tired of that semi-creepy Zook banner. I was going to try to make this a "ladies month," but while looking for a good Diane Meade image, this was to nice a cast line-up to pass by. Also, getting any themed project done on a schedule these days seems improbable, so why self-sabotage? I've always loved the juxtaposition of comic art and photography, which creates a neat Viewmaster 3D effect, plus the original comic book background was a skewed mess (it was an inside spine scan.)

mathematicscore said...

I second the sentiment that the banner is awesome. If it were to stay semi-permanent, I wouldn't complain...

Diabolu Frank said...

It'll be in the rotation. Depending on how far I can progress past hubris, I'm hoping to give the Summer of Saturn another try, with the associated banner. I expect the glorious Netzer will be back by September...

Omega Agent1 said...

Luv the cover like the idea even more. It's like Manhunters greatest hits. I think I might check out Storm Watch just because of this blog.

Diablo: "I've always loved the juxtaposition of comic art and photography, which creates a neat Viewmaster 3D effect"

Dude...Killer discription.

That sounded like something I'd say. Man I look at an look into art. I'm impressed at your vision.