The month of January here at the Idol-Head will spotlight the Vile Menagerie, a term I concocted over a decade back to avoid the tired phrase "Rogues Gallery." Since it took me so long to knock out a new banner for the event (and hopefully to serve as a permanent directory button,) I'm too tired to elaborate on the reprobates tonight. Back in April of 2008, the Spanish Martian Manhunter Fotolog ran a countdown of its favorite Manhunter from Mars foes. Let's have a look...
- 10) Professor Arnold Hugo: Crazy scientist!
- 09) The Idol-head of Diabolu: Peculiar enemy… in the form of bottle!
- 08) Cabal: The fusion of 6 Saturnians, red & white!
- 07) Mr. V
- 06) The Marshall: A green Martian who tried to conquer the Earth!
- 05) ¡¡¡Commander Blanx!!!: A white Martian who took J'onn J'onzz down the street of bitterness!
- 04) Darkside: Inhabitant of Apokolips!
- 03) KENTO: The masterful assassin of the dictator!
- 02) Despero: Obsessive persecutor of the Detective Marciano!
- 01) Ma'alefa'ak: Archenemy and malignant twin!
Reaction: My love for Professor Hugo is no secret, so I'm disappointed that he ranked on the low end. I long ago came to agree with Silver Age aficionado Commander Adam Benson that the Diabolu Idol-Head was a device, not a bad guy, and so I personally disqualify it from competition. I felt Cabal was ultimately a collection of Jemm villains, and similarly set them aside. The Vulture mob was a decent threat, but on his own, Mr. V made Blofeld look like Jaws. The Marshal really should have made additional appearances. Commander Blanx, in just two appearances, remains one of the most effective foes in the Menagerie. I have issues with a DC Universe villain like Darkseid being treated as a specific hero's foe, especially as he would overwhelm J'Onn in any reasonable circumstance. Kanto is more agreeable. Obviously I think Despero is great, and the general Malefic blackout here indicates I can't stand him...