Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who's Who in the DC Universe #2 (September 1990) Maxwell Lord Profile Detail



I guess I liked Maxwell Lord alright. He served his purpose while seeing to the financing of Justice League International. When the Martian Manhunter solo series was announced, along with the intention by writer John Ostrander to use the League itself as his supporting cast, I had high hopes. I expected the JLA would have a role, but I also hoped the statement would include neglected League-related characters with ties to J'Onn J'Onzz. While Max Lord, J'Onn's primary sounding board as leader of the JLI, was unavailable at that point, I hoped for at least Oberon or Gypsy or somebody.

Well, no. Ostrander instead milked constant appearances by JLA members as a sales gimmick, and damn any relevancy to J'Onn beyond the surface. Lord could have also turned up in his villainous alter ego Lord Havok at least once, but no, Ostrander stuck with new creations and dismissed any villains with a history as well. It burns me up to this day.

Anyhow, here's one of the three panel illustrations from the back of Maxwell Lord's Who's Who looseleaf edition entry. It's drawn by Ty Templeton, and shows Max, J'Onn, and Batman in "happier" times.

5 comments:

mathematicscore said...

Gosh do I like that Manhunter drawing. The cape that is more cloak than flowy thing, the contemplative chin stroking, the reserved sense of power...I miss the "JLI" house style. It was just more, you know, dignified.

Ostrander was clearly blowing smoke with the "JLA as supporting cast" thing, because if anything, he quickly moved J'onn away from the JLA, never giving J'onn a true milieu, or at least never deciding on one. That said, Gypsy totally shows up in the Ghosts or Mars storyline... So there. ;)

Diabolu Frank said...

Ty Templeton is more miss than hit with me, and helped me drop JLI before I got to experience Adam Hughes in first run. I didn't come back until "Breakdowns" with Sears, Robertson and Worst Artist Nominee Chris Wozniak. I like Templeton's darker stuff, and his work on the Johnny DC titles is great.

Gypsy? I thought that was Lara Croft. I only remember Gypsy from the "Day of Judgment" tie-in...

mathematicscore said...

Heh, yeah, at least Lara Croft makes more sense than that weird chrome "Bad girl" ninja thing she was for a second in JLTF...Not her finest moment.
I think it's less Templeton I enjoy and more the "house style" Kelly Jones/Norm Breyfogle Batman Cape is only really cool on Batman. I'm looking at you, Tom Mandrake.

LissBirds said...

The thing that bugged me the most, mc, about the Ostrander/Mandrake series was the bubble cape. Physics just doesn't WORK that way...

mathematicscore said...

See, I'd explain it with the animated cape, an extesion of J'onn's shapeshifting, and therefore his body. Then I'd never have it drawn that way again.