Monday, September 28, 2015

2015 “DC Superhero Profiles: Martian Manhunter” by Luke Daab

Click To Enlarge


At long last, it's J'onn J'onzz, The Martian Manhunter! I've been ready to create this illustration for several months. I was so glad to finally have an open weekend and the time to do this personal work!

Martian Manhunter is my wife's favorite character—I think it's because of her ability to look at circumstances from an outsider's perspective. She became a fan of the character through Bruce Timm's Justice League cartoon. Can you blame her? When I told her I would be illustrating a Martian Manhunter superhero profile her response to me was, "It's about time."
Check out this early present on the eve of J'Onn J'Onzz's 60th birthday! The artist continues on his Patreon page about what the character means to him and his household, as well as offering some very kind words about myself and the blog. The site is designed to allow one to become a patron to help encourage his work, which you ought to do and I need to get set up with to show my own appreciation. Also, because I want to make him nice and comfortable so the world can get a Martian Manhunter song as sweet as Aquaman's "Child of a Lighthouse Keeper" & "Oceans Rise", which are radio-quality (cue gradeschooler asking "what's a radio?") I also most certainly enjoyed this minimalist image, incorporating the classic Alien Atlas costume, the planet Mars, the fire weakness (or in this case lack thereof) and especially the "pie symbol" around his name (the only icon of the too numerous, often nauseating options I can roll with representing our hero.) This is a great start to a week of J'Onn J'Onzz-specific commissions, interrupted only by the 60th anniversary podcast special tomorrow (which will be more like a 40th, since the show ran so long I broke it in two!)

No comments: