Friday, August 13, 2010

1997 JLA Gallery: Tommy Lee Edwards



Tommy Lee Edwards got his start as something of a poor man's Mike Mignola at Acclaim and Milestone, and I recall intensely disliking his work at the time. Since then, he's improved mightily, and at his best is now a poor man's Drew Struzan. I'm still not a fan, but I appreciate his growth from this lousy pin-up.

Whenever I think of the Justice League of America, I always conjure up images of... parlor mysteries? The World's Greatest Super-Heroes must be brought to bear against... late middle-aged English upper crust murder suspects? You'd think the perp wouldn't look so bored in their presence, or is he perhaps suffering a migraine? Who is the random jerk with his back to the suspect-- the cop who should actually be investigating the case? What debilitating condition is Batman suffering from to cause his body to move so awkwardly? Why is J'Onn J'Onzz, the Martian Detective, contaminating evidence by putting his greasy green fingers all over the murder weapon? Is he so nearsighted he must nearly pick his nose with that sword? Doesn't he have Martian Vision for that sort of thing, and hasn't he be on Earth long enough to have learned to look with his eyes, not his hands? Wonder Woman appears to be really troubled about the murder of a sister-- or is it an aunt, because Diana appears to be about fourteen years old? Where is Aquaman, seeing as the mass of sea green negative space indicates this is a job for Atlantis Homicide? How about those exciting hints of background-- LAMP! PLANTS! ASHTRAY! Oh, I'm sold!

2 comments:

mathematicscore said...

Yeah, this sucks.

LissBirds said...

I can't find the ashtray, but I found Waldo. Does that count?

I didn't even know that was supposed to be Wonder Woman. That looks like a hat, not a tiara, so I was confused.

I just read this post after coming from a terrible I'll-pretend-I-can-draw session and now I don't feel so bad. Not even the pros can bat 1000.