Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DC Comics Stacked Group T-Shirt



Made from 100% Cotton, this black t-shirt features stacked boxes filled with all your favorite DC Comic Book characters! There's Green Lantern Hal Jordan! There's Superman, Batman Hawkman, Catwoman, Flash and even Zatanna and Mera! There's Birdbrain and the Green Agitator! HUH!? Anyway, this DC t-shirt is absolutely for you, DC Comic Book fan!

Small-Extra Large: $19.99
XXL: $23.99

After artificial distressing, probably the most obvious sign you might be nostalgic for the '80s is if you get off on these Brady Bunch clip art squares, regardless of the repetition and configuration. I resemble that accusation, but I'd like to narrow my choices down from the wealth of variations on the market. "Stacked" would be a top contender in my book.

Favorites Aquaman and Martian Manhunter are side-by-side, and while a bit far right, they're on the rib cage. It's Green Lantern Hal Jordan who'll be smelling the stink of literal obscurity as he will himself as far from your armpit as possible. I prefer Dr. Fate, who can hopefully magic up some Old Spice (Inza doesn't strike me as an Axe woman.) It's kinda messed up that most of the heroines (among them Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Mera, and Zatanna) are pushed down into the bottom rows ghetto, but who saw them getting a shirt in the first place? Hawkgirl and Mary Marvel curiously rated elevated real estate, but the real head scratcher is the prime diagonal placement of Cheetah and Catwoman. I think Harley Quinn got squeezed into a fold, and her smoopy Joker looks entirely too modern amongst these pieces.

The Batman and Superman I grew up with are featured, along with schoolboy chums Firestorm, Robin, and Hawkman. As a price, I'm stuck with underrated Batman villains the Penguin and Riddler, the overrated Darkseid, the bland DC Plastic Man, the consistently mishandled Captain Marvel & Junior, I Wally West-lookin' Flash, the increasingly annoying Green Arrow, and the usurper himself, Red Tornado. Did I miss anybody? That's thirty characters at a cost of less that 75¢ each. What a bargain!

I assume this was released sometime in 2009, and you can see more of it here!

15 comments:

Aaron said...

You know I'm into that! Fascinating to actually have the Penguin right in the center!

LissBirds said...

So, following Brady Bunch logic, I guess that makes the Penguin the maid, right?

"I prefer Dr. Fate, who can hopefully magic up some Old Spice (Inza doesn't strike me as an Axe woman.)" LOL. Have you seen the new Old Spice commercials?! They are almost as awesome as Dr. Fate himself, so I heartily concur.

I've often thought about getting one of these shirts, but I know I'm going to get asked who each of these characters are, and then I'm going to embarass myself by actually being able to name them all. Hence, I going with the magnet.

Diabolu Frank said...

Look at your spawn of Hawkman-- now back to me. Your man can't decide on an identity, or even stay alive for extended periods, but he can smell like grandpa Kent Nelson with Old Spice. Now I have a Gillette sword. My cape is a bandage. Back again. Ankh eye tattoos smell like fish, not like Old Spice. I have no body. Helm of Fate!

LissBirds said...

YES! I would pay to see that made into an actual commercial.

mathematicscore said...

That's messed up...

:)

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Wouldn't it be cool if you could select which DC characters to feature on the shirt? I'd love that.

I'd totally stack up on Apache Chief, Samurai, Black Vulcan, and El Dorado. That's be sweet!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com
http://firestormfan.com

Diabolu Frank said...

Like a pizza, or a Fuddruckers? Yes indeed! I'll have a New Titans Lover with Deathstroke, hold the Danny Chase, as well as a personal Justice League Antarctica, a junior side of Captain Marvel, and a two liter Naiad. Does that come with the Question?

I could spend an hour coming up with legit choices, but I must get cracking on an actual post...

The Irredeemable Shag said...

I didn't peg you as a Naiad fan, especially since I know your opinion on the Elemental Firestorm. I just re-read "The Elemental War" last week and I love it even more now!

By the way, I'd like an order of Primal Force, but can I get my Meridian on the side? Also, make sure that Joto is medium well, okay?

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com
http://onceuponageek.com

Diabolu Frank said...

Joto was in Primal Force? Hell, there still was a Primal Force by the time Joto was created? The taint of Red Tornado alone should have banish them from the memory of all.

I'm afraid I have no strong opinions about Naiad one way or another. I just needed a cute name for a soft drink. I was just pulling stuff out of the air I thought would be funny. Off the top of my head, my real stack might include:

Ambush Bug
Martian Manhunter
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Steel (John Henry Irons)
The Atom
Huntress
Blue Devil
Green Lantern John Stewart
Nightwing
Speedy
Vril Dox
Gorilla Grodd
Vandal Savage
Bronze Tiger
Lady Shiva
Captain Comet
Vixen
Captain Atom
Despero
Professor Arnold Hugo
Dr. Psycho
Eclipso
Zatanna
Connor Hawke
Gypsy
Mongul
The Question (Vic Sage)
Amanda Waller
Supergirl (Linda Danvers)

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Awesome list! Not surprisingly, we have a lot of crossover on favorites.

Joto wasn't in Primal Force, I just needed someone with heat powers for a "medium well" reference.

As always, keep up the fantastic work you do on this blog my friend!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com
http://firestormfan.com

Diabolu Frank said...

Damn it Shag, don't ruin the fantasy! I know the reality is that no single person on the planet Earth cares about Primal Force, but wouldn't it be a better place if even just one person believed in the Leymen? You could have been the fan.

...But if the number hit five or more, the extra fans would have to be "cleansed" for the good of humanity.

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Oh believe me, I'm a Primal Force fan. I truly believe if given a chance, they would have been the underdog quirky superhero team for the mid-90s. I think Primal Force was the logical successor to the JLI for turning third-rate characters into comics that sell!

Jack O'Lantern
Claw
Meridian
Red Tornado
Golem
and even Black Condor!

I love these guys!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com
http://firestormfan.com

Diabolu Frank said...

Shag, we congratulate you on coming forward with this information, and would welcome your testimony against any other Primal Force fans with whom you have associated.

Nah-- I liked the pre-Crisis Dr. Mist, as well as the post-Zero Hour Jack O'Lantern and Black Condor. I only read the first few issues in sequence and a few more sporadically, so I never got that great of a feel for the other members. As I recall, it was like Damage in being an early proponent of decompressed storytelling, but I didn't give it as long of a chance. I wouldn't mind seeing those guys incorporated into a new Global Guardians, a much maligned concept I will confess being a fan of.

LissBirds said...

What's decompressed storytelling?

Jack O'Lantern...that's the Irish guy, right? That's the only name that rings a bell.

Diabolu Frank said...

Decompressed storytelling is when you drag everything out. The Silver Age is known for so much plot compression into so few pages, things like characterization and story logic went out the window to get everything in. The ubiquitous decompression of the '00s involved nothing much happening for pages and pages with characters rambling on pointlessly to pad out one or more trades with a single sorry story.

In the examples I gave, it took Damage its first six issues to tell the story equivalent of one debut issue in the Bronze Age. In the case of Primal Force, I don't recall there being an "official" team until months into the run.