Friday, September 4, 2026
2005 Upper Deck Justice League of America VS System CCG Card DJL-054: Martian Manhunter - J'onn J'onzz
It's wild to me that I haven't previously posted this card, as it features two of my favorite things. Kevin Nowlan is one of my all-timer comic book artists, and getting a commission from him was a dream come true (...for me. Him, I think not so much.) Probably a contributing factor was the assumption that I would have posted it by now, and so perpetuated my not actually doing so. Plus, reposting scans is the laziest thing I ever did as a blogger, and I've always seen it as low value filler. But time brings respectability, and a lot of the places that I drew from for these images are no longer readily accessible. For instance, a bunch of these VS. System posts used to link to Ryan Sook's website for larger resolution original art, and now it redirects to a Swedish casino gaming website. I once found a decent enough scan of Arthur Suydam's virgin art to repurpose it as a mock cover for a Despero: The Greatest Stories Ever Told trade paperback. Now I can't find an unmarked scan of the actual card online or in my personal files. There's luckily still an eBay store that features scans of many of these cards, so I'm exploiting that resource while I can, because I might be the resource one of these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment