JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1So the Alien Atlas is a founding member of the Justice League of America-- just not the important one with the iconic characters? Eh, I'm okay with that. As has been discussed with my blogging buddies, it seems like Johns is intent on turning J'Onn from a Jobber to a Face. For those unfamiliar with wrestling terminology, it means he'll go from the least of the Magnificent Seven, constantly beaten by "Heels" to show their might before facing more important heroes, to being the "most dangerous" of this lot. Even before Superman and Batman properly joined the JLA, J'Onn never really got to play that role on the team, and even on the JLI and Task Force he was more a paternal figure than a frontrunner. As much as I love the version of the Manhunter that lives in my brain, I acknowledge that you can take more chances with his interpretation in the New 52, and am willing to keep an open mind about him being promoted to "edgy."
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by DAVID FINCH
On sale FEBRUARY 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
• The march toward TRINITY WAR begins with part one of “WORLD’S MOST DANGEROUS”!
• Green Lantern! Green Arrow! Catwoman! Katana! Vibe! Hawkman! Stargirl! They aren’t the world’s greatest super heroes—they’re the most dangerous! But why does a team like the JLA need to exist? What is their ultimate mission? And who is pulling the strings?
• Plus: Find out why Martian Manhunter is the most dangerous of them all. Period. This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.
Retailers: This issue will ship with 54 covers. See following page for details. The standard edition cover features the flag of the United States. The variants are available in 52 U.S. flag variant editions, one for each state plus Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico In addition, you may order a shrinkwrapped pack of the standard edition of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 plus all 52 variant covers, with a suggested retail price of $149.99 US. There is no minimum purchase needed to order this item.
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA’S VIBE #1If I still covered solicitation copy at the Justice League Detroit blog I would a) post this there and b) be as bald as J'Onn by now. Speaking of whom, I'm sure the Manhunter will play a role in this comic, and I'll be giving it a shot.
Written by ANDREW KREISBERG and GEOFF JOHNS
Art by PETE WOODS
Cover by DAVID FINCH
1:50 Variant cover by DAVID FINCH
On sale FEBRUARY 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• No, that’s not a typo. Vibe stars in his own ongoing monthly title, starting with this debut issue cowritten by GEOFF JOHNS!
• One of the most unlikely members of the Justice League of America ever (okay, THE most unlikely) will soon discover he’s one of the most powerful individuals on Earth. But how did Vibe get his abilities? What is the cost to them? And why does the JLA want him on the team so desperately?
• Plus: We’ve seen the Red Room and the Black Room, but what is...the Circus?
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. The variant cover will feature the standard edition cover in a wraparound format.
RED LANTERNS VOL. 2: THE DEATH OF THE RED LANTERNS TPFor the record, this is some curdled dreck. I haven't been able to get my synopsizing of Stormwatch back on track in part because covering this garbage will be such a chore.
Written by PETER MILLIGAN Art by ANDRES GUINALDO, JORGE JIMENEZ, MARK IRWIN, TOMAS GIORELLO and MIGUEL SEPULVEDA Cover by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA On sale MARCH 6 • 144 pg, FC, $16.99 US • In this second New 52 volume, Atrocitus, the creator of the Red Lanterns, is haunted by his past. Abysmus has been freed from his imprisonment and intends to destroy not only the Red Lanterns, but all life. Then, Atrocitus must face a civil war led by Bleez. Did Bleez free Abysmus in an effort to topple Atrocitus? And is the new human Red Lantern Jack Moore the key to stopping Abysmus? • Collects RED LANTERNS #8-12 and STORMWATCH #9.
THE ALL-NEW BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD — SMALL MIRACLES TPI bought but don't recall having read a couple of these issues. Shame on me.
Written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art by ROBERT POPE, SCOTT McRAE, RICK BURCHETT, STEWART McKENNY and DAN DAVIS Cover by RICK BURCHETT and DAN DAVIS
On sale MARCH 13 • 128 pg, FC, $12.99 US
• This all-ages title guest-stars DC Super Heroes including Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Martian Manhunter and more!
• Collects BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #15, 17 and THE ALL NEW BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #13-16.
THE JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HCThe King offered a rockin' J'Onn J'Onzz. There probably isn't a member of DC's core stable of super-heroes better suited to his bombastic yet somber style than the Manhunter from Mars.
Written by JACK KIRBY, JOE SIMON, MICHAEL FLEISCHER, JOEY CAVALIERI and others
Art by JACK KIRBY, JOE SIMON, MIKE ROYER, WALLACE WOOD and others
Cover by JACK KIRBY
On sale APRIL 17 • 624 pg, FC, $39.99 US
• Collecting more of Jack Kirby’s epic tales from the 1970s and 1980s starring The Sandman, The Justice League, Atlas and many more.
• Collects BLACK MAGIC #1-9, 1ST ISSUE SPECIAL #1, 5 and 6, KUNG FU FIGHTER #3, THE SANDMAN #1-6, DC COMICS PRESENTS #84, SUPER POWERS VOL.1 #1-5 and SUPER POWERS VOL. 2 #1-6, and KOBRA #1.
YOUNG JUSTICE #25If this is truly the end, then God bless Miss Martian for keeping the hope of her planet alive when J'Onn J'Onzz was dead or otherwise lacking a presence in newly published comics. I suspect though that they'll just do an "Invasion" branded relaunch, as those elements were shoehorned in just a few months back. I love this cover so much that I'll buy the trade collection if it sports it.
Written by GREG WEISMAN
Art and cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
On sale FEBRUARY 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E
• The heroes make their last stand against Kylstar and Brainiac!
• Metropolis is still in danger, but now the entire planet risks destruction!
• Deadshot hits his target!