Friday, November 16, 2012

Suiting the Sleuth From Outer Space #6: Manhunters

Click To Enlarge


Hard as it might be to believe after five years of daily blogging and over a decade of character-specific web presence, there was a time when I was far more interested in Mark Shaw than J'Onn J'Onzz. This page was drawn up around 1994, and involved my taking a look at the costumes of the former Privateer, as well as other Manhunters Paul Kirk, Dan Richards, and Chase Lawler. I'm not 100% sure that those names are correct, but the fact that I'm secure enough to reference them off the top of my head decades later should have some merit. At a later date (1997) I took some stabs at Alien Atlas alternative gear that incorporated elements from as unfortunate a source as the Manhunter Cult. Yes, there's even one with no pants, allowing the lesser noted shapeshifting option of genital absorption.

There's a few more period odds n' sods here, including a Two-Face doodle, Superman as Flamebird, a Green Lantern Hal Jordan ensemble, and even a rare dalliance with Spider-Man (surely later still-- like Post-Clone Saga.) If you're feeling bored, here's links to a Wonder Woman I did that was cropped out of this scan, and a 1994-1995 Swipe Collage from the preceding page. I have no shame, clearly, irregardless of my ability to conceal my own genitals.

3 comments:

LissBirds said...

I like the Two-Face sketch!

The Martian Manhunter's costume is something that has always vexed me. The more I look at it the more I think it needs to be redesigned; the more I see redesigns, the more I want the original. I guess this kind of equivocation is fitting for J'onn...

Diabolu Frank said...

His color scheme is frustrating to balance out, and there are so many elements of the character you want to visualize and can't because of their incongruity.

Brock’s Town said...

What did you think of Alan Davis’s tweak of his costume in JLA: The Nail?