Monday, January 3, 2022

2021 “Gypsy Zook and Cry'll - In Color” commission by Val Semeiks & Tom Ziuko

Click To Enlarge

I had planned to finish out running original material commissioned for the fake DC Editorial Presentation this week, but I felt like the artist didn't get the traction his work warranted on social media due to the holidays and so many people being on vacation. Also, I only got one day off each of those weeks, so I didn't set aside the time to draft those posts. Thankfully, derekwc alerted me to this delightful work.
So love Val's version of Detroit Era Gypsy and asked him for a commission. I wild idea came to mind to add Zook and Cry'll the alien sidekicks of Martian Manhunter and Space Ranger. Val said it was very unique commission but think he had fun with it. I asked him to add a small Space Ranger in the background as he already had Martian Manhunter.
Lots of fun choices made here, and I'm always up for an untold adventure of Zook in the right spirit. Here's the original black & white art. By the way, there's no apostrophe in Cryll... or Zook for that matter, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.
My crazy commission piece - by Val Semiks now in glorious computer color. Tom Z knocks it out the park again.

5 comments:

kevin from new orleans said...

This is a great piece! Do you think Zook and Cryll will get along?

Diabolu Frank said...

I confess to having very little exposure to Cryll-- maybe only "The Ambush Bug Guide to the DC Universe"? Can't speak to his personality, especially in that context. I mean, Giffen turned Zook into a suicide bomber, so Idunno. Cryll sounds pretty powerful, so I'm not sure I'd want to see a fight, either.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is amazing. I always wanted to say your blog got me really interested in J'onn J'onzz and the time he was in the Detroit and International era. Really appreciated it highlights the relationship he had with Gypsy and wish she came back in the current DC universe in some capacity.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is amazing. I always wanted to say your blog got me really interested in Martian Manhunter and the time he was in the Detroit and International era. Really appreciated it highlights the relationship he had with Gypsy and wish she came back in the current DC universe in some capacity.

Isaiah said...

I really appreciated the focus to include Gypsy(Cindy Reynolds) in this cover. She definitely is one of Martian Manhunter best supporting cast members and I would be interested to see her return to the DC universe in some capacity.