Monday, January 9, 2023

2022 McFarlane Toys DC Classic DC Multiverse Martian Manhunter (Gold Label) Action Figure Trading Card

I should be returning to regular blogging in 2023. This is partly due to my finally deciding against deleting my Twitter account, and therefore the primary (sole) social media outlet for promotion of the posts. My ambivalence on the matter following a months-long account suspension directly impacted on my motivation to produce work here. Secondly, my guilt at holding the circulation of Martian art commissions hostage, in some cases entering its ninth year of embargo, is being assuaged as I finally begin addressing jams long left incomplete by COVID lockdowns and my admitted diminished interest. I invested many thousands of dollars and countless man-hours into the intellectual property of an increasingly soulless corporation, but I can't resolve this decades long association without finally getting these artists' efforts out into the world. I'll start slow with these scans from a trading card included with an (I think?) Target-exclusive variant of the more broadly sold New 52 action figure released last year. I like the articulation and the hybrid Riley Rossmo/Joshua Middleton face, very much reflecting the most recent maxi-series. More importantly, Jose Fixit gave me a very impressive McFarlane Starro to place on his chest, giving the 7th Manhunter action figure on that particular shelf something unique to do. Technically the 8th, since my B'rett Custom Action Figure used a duplicate New Frontier J'onn as its base. I do wish they had (re-)produced art for the trading card rather than offer photographs of the figure I would have had to buy to get the card, and which may have yielded better scans. If you'd like a better look at the figure, try its website.

2 comments:

Kevin from New Orleans said...

Are you going to get the New 52 action figure also ?

Diabolu Frank said...

Probably not. I thought the DC Direct one was fantastic, and none of the successive attempts have come close to matching it. But folks will randomly gift me stuff, or I might find it in a $5 bin, so never say never.