Illustration by Jorge Lucas.
Last night, I watched a little TV, left a lengthy comment on the blog of a podcast I enjoyed, and did some work planning my own podcasts. I went to bed mostly content, but with a slight nagging feeling that I had forgotten something. Tonight, we finished watching a classic Star Trek episode, then a little Last Week Tonight. I also watched Strange Brain Parts new vlog on Astro City, plus some political stuff. My eyes were bothering me, and I was a bit icky from sweating at work, so I hopped into the shower. While I was rinsing the shampoo out of my hair, it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if that JLI card post went up this morning or yesterday? But hey, it's not midnight anywhere in America, so I still have time to sneak one in.
Since I came to the Justice League via Super Friends, Super Powers, and the funny JLI, the latter close to a decade into my comics reading, I'm not terribly precious about their "classic" foes. I'm not sure who is. The Avengers had Loki, the Masters of Evil, Kang, and Immortus in their first dozen issues. The Hulk had a swift heel turn, and teamed up with Sub-Mariner. Wonder Man was introduced. Now, the book was initially bi-monthly, and debuted nearly four years after the JLofA, so they had a blueprint. But still, the League started out battling a giant starfish that was beaten with lime by Snapper Carr. I think Xotar the Weapons Master had potential, but he was left on the shelf far too long, and never developed. I recently defended Kanjar Ro, but had the same problem as Dr. Light of immediately downgrading to fighting indivual heroes instead of a team, and not even one of the more impressive soloists. I don't think anyone ever slept on Amazo, and Despero is obviously a personal favorite with bona fides. But Pete Ricketts? Felix Faust? The Demons Three? That ad hoc team with a plainclothes Dr. Destiny? What a bunch of never-weres.
The one I haste the most is Amos Fortune. Nothing about this guy impresses, and his power is super-gambling? My gal once bought me a wooden plaque reproducing a JLA cover, but that cover was #6, so it's never going to hang anywhere in my house. I'll acknowledge that Fortune is still better than Pete Ricketts, but I never had to groan over a Pete Ricketts revival appearance. Amos Fortune makes Space Phantom look like Thanos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Here's the only good thing he ever did, he created the Royal Flush Gang & then they kicked him out when they saw how lame he is.
Post a Comment