Thursday, September 10, 2026

2005 Upper Deck Justice League of America VS. System CCG Card DJL-180: H'ronmeer's Curse

Art by Joe Bennett.

As of this writing, I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying a single Vs. System card. I actually played Overpower, and I have enough high quality base/chase cards packed out of boxes direct into 9-pocket sleeves to make it worthwhile for me to eventually plug in the holes. Collecting a CCG from scratch with only online resources twenty years after release is probably too big an ask for me. I have no great desire to put together any more Batman/Superman heavy card sets (see, again, Overpower,) and the more diverse sets like Justice League of America go hundreds of cards deep at various levels of availability. There are some really choice artists working on the set, but going back to granddaddy Magic: The Gathering, all these paintings are done dirty by postage stamp presentations in favor of game mechanic text.

All this is to say that I'm just prettying up scans swiped from eBay listings, and despite not being a valuable card, there are no good English language scans of this particular card handy. For presentation purposes, I doctored up an Italian-language card, but figure someone might be curious about a translation. The card is of the "Plot Twist" type, which I believe translates into an Event card in Overpower speak (which I stopped playing well before this card came out long enough ago to drink legally.) In layman's terms, it's a card that's played to change a gaming dynamic.

In this instance, "Ongoing: At the start of your attack step, if you control a non-stunned character, each player stuns a non-stunned character he controls with cost 2 or less." Hey Upper Deck-- your pronouns are out of date. Admittedly, I don't recall a single solitary girl ever playing Overpower in my vicinity. I think I knew a trans-femme in the broader super-hero trading card sphere though, and certainly women played more popular CCGs, even in my day. So, shouting out from Woke.0?

The flavor text quote reads, "For the weaker Martians, the curse is deadly."

No comments: