Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Favorite Martian Manhunter Stories



16 Stories. 21 Comics. That's what I presented as being among my favorite Martian Manhunter stories over the course of five weeks. A good many more I'd like to have included were left out for a variety of reasons. For example, I wouldn't have minded J'onn J'onzz's team-ups from "Brave and the Bold," but I wanted to pull quality scans (unavailable from my ratty, yellowed copies) from the Archive Edition reprints first, and couldn't get to the copy once made available to me at this time. I wish I could have covered the first appearances of Zook, the Idol-Head, and Marco Xavier-- but I've never held any of them in my hands. I could have run more Detective Comics stories, but I haven't read as many as I should have, and had wicked alternate plans for several that I have (coming soon!) Ties to continuity kept a lot of great books from consideration, as did length. I'm pleased to point out a number of awesome tales had already been reviewed here, and hope you turned some up with my links to past editions, sorted by decade. The button guides to those will remain to the right.>>>

I tried to allow a good balance between the zany Silver Age tales of long, lanky Jones; the sober, complex works of the Modern Age; all the wonderful period pieces; and the lighter, laughable antics of the JLI years. Dime novel detective work, space-spanning sci-fi, fantastic super-heroics, animated adventures-- I tried to give a little taste of everything that makes the Sleuth From Outer Space such a classic character.

I'm sure I missed some of your favorites, and too many of my own as well. Still, I hope everyone took something away from Martian Manhunter Memorial Month, and that you'll share your personal best loved books in the comments section...

Detective Comics #264: “The Menace of the Martian Weapons!”
Detective Comics #306: “The Last Days of J’onn J’onzz”
Detective Comics #322: "The Man Who Destroyed J'onn J'onzz"
House of Mystery #158: "The Origin of the Diabolu Idol-Head"
JLA Annual #1: "Hardboiled Hangover"
JLA Secret Files & Origins #1: "A Day In The Life: Martian Manhunter"
Justice League: A Midsummer's Nightmare #1, #2, #3, Review
Justice League America #51: "My Dinner With G'nort"
Justice League International #8: "Moving Day"
Justice League International Annual #3: "The Man I Never Was"
Justice League of America #144: "The Origin of the Justice League-- Minus One!" Part 1, Part 2
Justice League Quarterly #11: "Heat Wave"
Justice League Task Force #7: "Valley of the Daals!"
Justice League Task Force #8: "How Green Was My Daalie?"
Justice League Unlimited #24: "Alone Among The Stars"
Martian Manhunter #24: "Double Stuff"
Martian Manhunter: American Secrets Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Review

No comments: