Friday, May 22, 2009

Martian Manhunter Kids' WB Online Graphic



As I mentioned yesterday, I'm kind of exhausted this weekend, so my posts will be inclined toward low hanging fruit. For instance, Rob at The Aquaman Shrine recently posted an image of the Sea King offered by the Kids' WB web site. I followed Rob's link and found this spiffy Martian Manhunter graphic, based on the design from the Justice League cartoon. I love the high contrast profile and use of the "pie" symbol. You'll note the lack of an official logo, but the understated look is a major reason I like this image, and it recalls the type of the outstanding American Secrets mini-series. If you'd like to see more, visit the Graphics Library.

7 comments:

Luke said...

The "pie" symbol is always a winner in my book. Have we learned what it represents, or is it just an abstract design?

Diabolu Frank said...

To the best of my knowledge, it is meaningless. John Ostrander wrote that it was a shapechanging "zo'ok" or somesuch-- basically a Martian flower that acted as J'Onn's costume, whatever shape it took. This would explain why it would take severe damage without quickly reconstituting, as J'Onn often does.

Tom said...

Was Zook a zo'ok? (I didn't read the Ostrander series. That Legends cross-over and Suicide Squad #1 were more than enough Ostrander for me.)

Diabolu Frank said...

As far as I know, Zook was not a zo'ok, as I don't believe he ever existed in Post-Crisis continuity (obviously disregarding Ambush Bug: Year None #2 (10/08). Per the Silver Age, Zook was an otherdimensional pet, not a semi-sentient Martian plant.

I hated the Ostrander Martian Manhunter series, but he's often been a good writer. Len Wein scripted Legends, which I admit didn't hold up, but not through the fault of Ostrander. His writing on The Spectre, Grimjack, and for some, Hawkworld is worth looking into. How anyone could hate Suicide Squad is beyond me. Even the From The Ashes revival mini-series was outstanding.

Bookgal said...

My take was that the zo'ok flower was a little homage to Zook. Kinda silly, but I do admit a chuckle.

Diabolu Frank said...

Agreed, and it was fine at that.

mathematicscore said...

As much of an Ostrander series apologist I am, I disliked the zook as clothing idea. He's a shapshifter, he doens't need clothes! Alan Davis did a great job in the "Another Nail" elseworlds of showing this. J'onn is treating superman and not wearing a cape, they get called to action and J'onn's cape grows out of his back. Awesome.