Saturday, October 16, 2010

2009 "Justify Your Existence: Attack of the Poor Planners"



Living Between Wednesdays is one of the great many catch-all comic blogs in the world I haven't had time to pay attention to, but having skimmed some articles, I might have to work on that. They're quite amusing ganders at comics, from today and especially the wackiness of days of yore. For instance, Johnathan (who from a quick look seems to be the primary/only remaining writer) has a column called "Justify Your Existence" in which he judges "the validity of a series of superfolks’ motivations for their actions." In his September 12th, 2009 edition, the defendants were Dr. Fate fiend Khalis and Batman baddies Master of Weapons and our own Professor Arnold Hugo. Specifically, Johnathan looks at Hugo's origin story in Detective Comics #306 in some detail, which I haven't gotten around to yet. John ultimately gives the "completely bug-nuts" Arnold the thumbs up, saying "Professor Hugo would be a perfect foil to the Cry for Justice-style, taking themselves way too seriously comics that crop up far too often nowadays." Too true, and if you choose to read further, do check out the amusing comments section as well.

4 comments:

LissBirds said...

Okay, so what's awesomer in this panel:

a.) The fact that Hugo is so off-the-charts vain that he actually believes Baman will write his biography, or

b.) The fact that Professor Hugo has INVISIBLE ROBOTS.

Tough choice, isn't it?

LissBirds said...

Oh, and by the way, thank you for re-introducing me to Living Between Wednesdays, as I had forgotten about it. As I was browsing, I rediscovered Johnathan's post about Magnus, Robot Fighter, and I nearly fell off my chair laughing, becuase it's just as funny the second time around.

Diabolu Frank said...

Self Importance: Hugo's greatest super power, or super flaw? It trumps the robots, who while awesome, are not gorillas firing revolers. What else is, really?

LissBirds said...

With all that hubris, Hugo could be a villain of epic proportions, if someone wrote him from that angle.

In addition to the gorillas with guns, the line about Zatara being Magic Batman escaping a Death maze made my day.

And I mispoke when I said Johnathan wrote the Magnus entry. Rachelle wrote it. Whoops!