Saturday, January 12, 2008

JUSTICE LEAGUE: J'ONN J'ONZZ: SECRET ORIGINS (11/17/01)



"I came to warn you, but I was captured and imprisoned here. They wouldn't listen...

We first encountered them a thousand of your Earth years ago. It was a golden age. Our Martian civilization was at the height of its peace and prosperity-- and then, they arrived. Where they came from, no one knew, but they were determined to make our planet their own. We Martians were a peaceful people, and the taking of any life was abhorrent to us... but we quickly learned the ways of war. For centuries, the battles raged on. Every trace of our once great civilization was obliterated. We fought valiantly, but the invaders were parasites who fed on our psychic energy. As we grew weaker, they grew stronger. They even absorbed our shape changing abilities.

Finally, a small group of Martian survivors planned one final, desperate attack. Inside their underground stronghold, we unleashed a powerful nerve gas, which paralyzed them. The attack was successful, but the cost was dear. I was the only survivor, the last of my kind. I sealed up their their citadel to keep them in a constant state of suspended animation. For over five hundred years, I stood guard over them... but then, while I was in a hibernation cycle, astronauts from Earth unsealed the stronghold and accidentally revived the invaders...

With all the Martians gone, the invaders had nothing left to feed upon, so they turned their sights to Earth. I narrowly escaped, and came here to warn of the coming danger. While I was being held against my will, the invaders sent advance agents to disable Earth's defenses...

It may already be to late... It's begun..."

No comments: